Monday, May 19, 2014

An old man won the race?

The Season 24 finale of Amazing Race aired last night and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. Not just by the finale, but by the whole season. First of all, I came up with a list of all stars. It did not include most of the teams who raced in this race. Also, even though two of my favorite teams of all time got to race again, I did not agree with the idea of the 3-peaters. If you wanted people to run a third race, do an all stars for second time racers, and then have an All Stars All Stars for the third go around. I don't know why, it just bothered me. That said, the Globetrotters and Cowboys are way more qualified to be "all stars" than most other teams this season. So I guess they had a low turnout for people wanting to re-race? That's the only reason I could see them coming up with the list they did.

As for the finale, I am confused about a race rule yet again. From Season 6 on, there was a clear rule that team members had to do the same number of road blocks each. They talked about this often, stating that each team must go into the final leg equal, unless there was an odd amount of legs, in which case they had to be equal until the second to last leg. Teams spoke about this, Phil spoke about this, it was a very clear rule. However, in this season, Dave did a total of 5 road blocks on the whole race, while Connor did 8. I am a math teacher, and I can tell you that 5 and 8 are not even, or close to being the same. Every other team in the Final four was split 5/6 or 6/7. In addition, all Dave talked about was being an old man. Does he get special "I don't have to do this" rights because he's an old man? He signed up for, and was cleared for, the race just like everyone else. Why these privileges? And why did no one bring them up? Were they that desperate for a parent/child winning team?

What did you think about the finale? I thought the whole season was a little anticlimactic. Now I'm looking forward to a new race with new racers.

2 comments:

  1. I was really not impressed by this season. I love TAR but the finale was really disappointing ... No memory challenge, easy tasks during the whole leg, the fact that we already knew that Dave got to the helicopter first so he'll win :/.
    I never realized that Connor did 8 tasks! This sucks. How about other teams that were in final 3?

    Also, if I can suggest something, it's really tiring for eyes to read red text on white background. It would be much better if the text was black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recommendation!

    and yeah, i was completely underwhelmed by this season as a whole. oh well...

    ReplyDelete